How long has it been? When did I last watch The Graduate? Dustin Hoffman’s 1967 break-out role movie? Years and years ago. Yeah, how strange I should start to remember when I watched The Graduate as I was listening to Ludacris’s Red Light District, hypnotized at some, pissed at much, wondering why Ludacris will not release that one album to make him a legend. Because. The sly eye-brow rising humour, the goofy grin, the inimitable wicked one-liners, nobody does them better than Luda right now! Then that deep growly voice, grizzly with a friendly menace, unmatchable! I’m a total Luda fan from his cameos and I know I’m supposed to make gay jokes about Lovers & Friends but when it comes on KFM roaming, you know that dial ain’t going anyway else four minutes nearly and I can stand Usher, for the moment. M says “there’s method in madness” and Luda agrees and I agree so I got out and got me Red Light District, don’t ask me how this non-Musicland visitor got his hands on Luda. Flow on! We’re back! Luda!
I last watched The Graduate:
1. Before I had a girlfriend. Lie. Before I was ready to be steady with anyone.
2. I was not even in University then but Benjamin Braddock’s (Dustin Hoffman) unease was familiar.
3. I did not know what DVD was, had heard of video deck but never actually seen one, but Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel’s The Sound of Silence did not fade with the credits rolling up, Benjamin and new girlfriend Elaine wondering in that last bus ride if it was true love that had made them rebel or if they had made the mistake to define and besmirch their lives for good. The Sound of Silence is a track eternally in my head.
4. I had never seen that swagger before, Mrs. Robinson’s older woman swagger but I had listened in mistakenly to indiscreet saloon women conversations and I knew no woman would turn me on than a woman who had a swagger of her own.
5. The Graduate was the first film I watched with my father on his sad heights, wistful and breathless beside me in that couch in the night, TNT Classics before they were TCM and free to air in Uganda, and I made a promise I’m fulfilling this year.
Why am I thinking of The Graduate? Why am I thinking of The Graduate, yeah, why? Luda speak!
Now I'm a man of many talents and a man of my word
But on my path to see the light sometimes my vision gets blurred
It's all a part of growin up and seein life at it's worst
Then tryin to iron out my wrinkles, puttin family first
It seems like the whole world is out for sinkin my boat
But with God as my navigator I'll be stayin afloat
And I admit to bein caught by many foolish distractions
Then I'm forced to pay the price as the result of my actions
I'm battlin with MYSELF and every DAY it's a war
Curiosity killed the cat, why am I Curious George?
Gotta keep my nose up outta thangs that ain't none of my biz
And just cause somethin looks don't really mean that it is
Get through the agony and anger, the pain and strife
And take the necessary steps to try to change my life
I got some questions for you Lord cause my mentality's hood
So why is everything that's bad for me feel so good?
Now I'm a only child, so excuse some of my selfish ways
I got spoiled when I was young, spoil myself today
Oh but I feed at least a thousand stomachs and how I've done it
is from the ground up a hundred miles and runnin
Dodgin and duckin everybody tryin to hammer me down
A self-made millionaire, baby look at me now
Can't tell me nothin still hungry as the day I began
Cause all I ever really needed was a pen in my hand
And a, pad in my lap, didn't matter in fact
Me and my momma lived in one room, and what's badder than that
was a young man forced to grow up at the age of 12
Tryin to get in where I fit, streets givin me hell
But yet I give it right - back, so how you like - that
Continue doin wrong 'til I was on the right - track
Tell me 'bout heavy money I might give it a PUSH
But a, bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
No matter how much older we get man, we all still children at heart
We all make mistakes, it's all good
Now I've tried plenty of times to get rid of my bad habits
Livin life on the cuttin edge, takin a stab at it
And learnin from my mistakes, try not to make 'em twice
Just admittin when I'm wrong, tryin hard to make it right
And baby, nobody's perfect in this world of ours
There's plenty people gettin stitches in this world of scars
But over time, pray to God that he can heal your wounds
Try to love and love again until they seal your tomb
Cause life is short if you don't know this it'll pass you by
That's why my head is in the clouds tryin to pass the sky
Never blinkin for a minute, keep my eyes on my foes
They wanna catch me in the open, bring my life to a close
Meanwhile that's why I'm bringin so much life to my shows
I've seen smiles I'm makin changes turnin glitter to gold
Don't let these devils play you down or belittle your soul
Just be happy with yo'self and it's so simple to grow
Feel the flow!
I have not been watching The Graduate again. I never go back trying to keep a moment alive, I live it in my mind, make it up, change it, symbolize it, yeah! The Graduate is on my mind, reaching for angles everyone says I should not. I’m a child of the night, did you not know? Keep dreaming! Keep moving.