Monday, May 07, 2007

Leaves of Another Time

A girl told me, “That was the moment I nearly broke down and started crying.” And I understood. I understood. I understand.

This is not a bedside story. I wanted to tell you this story. But now I can’t. All I know is that a girl said to me, “That was the moment I nearly broke down and started crying,” and the first time she told me I did not understand. I did not know what she was talking about. Now I know. Girl, I’m so near there now.

You said you stood at the transcript clearing office at Makerere University Senate Building in near tears, back again here in vain, because the woman who had told you your transcript was ready had deliberately omitted to tell you that it would take 2 days to really get your hands on it. You had come miles and miles, spent the last of the borrowed money you had on you, knowing you were going back home to faces beaming with joy to see it and now you were not. So, “That was the moment I nearly broke down and started crying.”


You have your transcript now. Your first class degree with honours is clearly and boldly indicated and to protect that precious white document you have more faith in than the yellowing paged Bible gathering dust on the coffee table in the sitting room, you have had your transcript in translucent paper sealed against the water and sun and the ravages of time, you hope. You’re happy, now. But your words have remained with me, you saying, “That was the moment I nearly broke down and started crying,” because I know now.

I understand when you say, “That was the moment I nearly broke down and started crying.” I understand. I know.


PS: I May Be Leaving Blogger Soon.

12 comments:

ish said...

naawe, u've left and come back obba 5 times now!

and though i don't quite know, i think i might, just might, have the faintest idea

The 27th Comrade said...

Ah. To be told of the things that happen in distant far-flung universes. Like the one where people hold delicate certifications ...

Plus, just tell us whence thou goeth, and we will re-point.

Cheri said...

Ish, don't fret....he only means he's movin on to Wordpress.

Iwaya, I'm hoping against hope that u aren't gonna quit the entire establishment.

broccoli said...

Iwaya stop theatening us. We love your posts and we are preparing a petition to beg you to stay on

broccoli said...

Now to the post. There are many moments that come and you want to break down and cry.

realities that create nolstagias

Keitetsi said...

DONT U DARE i havent read the post just the ps because it was red

after making me come back how can u say ur leaving I WILL NEVER 4GIVE U IF U DO i swear

Keitetsi said...

eeehhhhh
iwaya
if u dare.....
we're THRU!

Keitetsi said...

I still cant believe it Yesu wangye iwaya if u try and make that p.s. come to pass!!!!

countryboy said...

u always hav a way of mesmerising your readers!

Heaven! said...

we are getting used to the fact that mob guys are moving house...to wordpress.really,some of us are getting used to it but i don't know how you will sort it out with blogger...and then Keitetsi.
goodluck

Aseu said...

Iwaya,
Not you too? Why cant we just resist the move? I know change is goodbut I just got here. Do keep us updated.

scotchbiscuits said...

this is for every tear, and for every future smile.
(((((((((((((you))))))))))))))))