Thursday, October 19, 2006

10 Things

i want...

1. my weekends back. Saturday afternoon slumped in the couch in front of the tv, fan whirling somewhere, bored, happy.

2. sunday morning in bed, sleeping five minutes more, before Church, Mum banging on my door.

3. friday evening in Wandegeya at Neolite with Michael, K promising his on his way traffic held up, to talk about the love of his life, his vintage white landrover, before everything changed.

4. to be in Bulaga again, in the last taxi there, past the foul fish smelling swamp, after 10, on the verandah, Royal Vodkha in hand, plateful of Michael's special pork in the other, the undead puppy rolling with a bone in the moonlight, Biggie blasting from Michael's room, the weekend coming on.

5. my house again. Monday morning waking at 4am, in a cold sweat, sheets drenched, phone green light flashing, Ronnie "I'm on my way and I got two twin sisters with me," dashing out to buy a whole pack, pictures disappearing out of photo frames and that jingly air freshner getting a good futile shake.

6. to be able to sit down and watch a movie and not fast forward, because tomorrow i got a million things to do and 24 hours is hardly enough and this movie sucks and i got to think of new ways to say it sucks without dropping off to sleep before i say it.

7. i want to be able to sit down and watch a recently released movie and be surprised.

8. buy a book on Kampala road or in Owino Market on the spur, walking with Brian or Lil Cease, in the morning, an hour before lunch, headed down to Sir Apollo Kaggwa Road, our day done...thinking of the afternoon's pleasures.


9. talk to Lovely Amphibian and ask him how he knew she was the right one, the one he is going to marry, because sometimes i wonder and i wonder if sometimes, in the bathroom alone knotting his tie, listening to her talk in the other room about the scarf her friend bought, he too sometimes still wonders.

10. be young again, be able to walk away from anything again.

16 comments:

Darlkom said...

You are an amazing writer. (I know you hear that alot, but don't tire.)

Cherie said...

ehhh, deep, this one!

cavalier said...

Sublime.

Cherie said...

@Cavalier...Where are u?

Lovely Amphibian said...

dont worry, dude. according to the little i know, even before i get into the real battle field, i shall handle beautifully. and so will you when you stop wringing your hands and make an honest woman out of her.

Just Rich said...

You FAST FORWARD through movies? I honestly dont get the concept. Cant wrap my head around it.
You're only as young as you feel. I dont know who first said that but its still true. I've seen teens wasting away and 60 year old kids. Life is yours if you want it.

scotchbiscuits said...

I know what mean...want my weekends back too. and I want them to stay.

Darlkom said...

I want my Saturdays back. I hate that I have to work on Saturday but I probably won't have them back for a while.

minty said...

tried to comment earler and things jammed.
Was saying that you probably already know whether she's the one or not. Just that maybe you do not know which flashing signal is saying what.
er, I guess LA will be more helpful.

Mr. Magoo. said...

I am sorry to spam, but ya'll need to Watch this Invisible Children music video

eddiie said...

.........sunday morning in bed, sleeping five minutes more, before Church, Mum banging on my door............

that was surelly goin to put you in deep touble...i hope she didn`t knock you off bed...

did she?..

countryboy said...

no.4 & no.9 r simply wow. am almost tempted 2 think that u drew e inspiration 2 write this after reading one of maatachi's kim series. i don't know if am right but i think u & mataachi inspire each other in e way u write.

Just Rich said...

Methinks Countryboy may have stumbled onto something that may one day prove to be quite significant...or not. Methinks I'm not thinking too clearly cos of this cold thats trapped me at home and has me using phrases like "methinks" on decent people's blogs.

receipt said...

"...There is a boundary that man reaches,and thinks, I can't afford to forget all that has passed, very fast! Wait, so he sits down and tries to enjoy the past.

Hey, some options are still redeemable but that place in Wandegs is no more...it lost the spiritual lustre.

yours truly UNDO

minty said...

I'm with Countryboyi and Just Rich on that something they think they stumbled on. Been thinking it for quite sometime.

Goddess of Sorts said...

and that is my life's aspiration, to be forever young, so that i'm always "able to walk away from anything"