Friday, September 29, 2006

This Used To Be Me Before You



Over my head, I see a bronze butterfly,
Asleep on the black trunk,
Blowing like a leaf in the green shadow.
The cowbells follow one another
Into the distances of the afternoon.
To my right,
In a field of sunlight between two pines,
The droppings of last year’s horses
Blaze up into golden stones.
I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
I have wasted my life.

Lying in a hammock at William Duffy’s Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
James Wright

9 comments:

undo said...

But that path, those trees,is that apart of a life that used "to be" Because man, you will want to walk here again...otherwise you will have truly wasted your life

Czar the IV said...

nice pic

Rolly said...

just to say hello to you

Just Rich said...

Man i was feeling this till it got to the part about last year's horse droppings. that shit was gross. never been big on nature or farmlife. Sure the air is fresh but can it show movies?

Goddess of Sorts said...

i didn't think one could be so calmly poetic about a wasted life... in fact, i still don't quite think so...

and Rich; r ur eyes forever blinking rapidly and your mind switching off at things that don't move at the speed of commercials? if so, were u white, ur skin would be nastily pasty-ish!

nevender said...

bro, your comment made me laugh. i hear the brother was tryin to show his sensitive side. anyway i believe not.

minty said...

='Droppings of last year's horses
Blaze up into golden stones'

I dont' know, but that sounds to me like there's hope yet. Oba am I just over-interpreting?

Iwaya said...

@Goddess of sorts: I used to.

nevender said...

now hommie, you are interested in babies and marriage...quite normal for a man your age and your sex(lol). now i would love to say that even before i die, my life has not been wasted...coz i got J.E.S.U.S
Now, when are you steppin into church?