Friday, August 11, 2006

Ghosts

I thought I saw you again today, on the Kampala-Jinja road stage, oblivious to all around you; the impatient beckoning taxi conductor and his angry, frowning driver, the friend I did not know standing next to you waiting for you to get off your cell and talk to you, the Policewoman looking at you and not the traffic she was directing, the Marabou stocks up in the white splattered trees looking down, the driver in the Toyota saloon car with his foot down hard on his brakes looking up at you. Everyone was looking up at you.

And you were on your phone, your shoulders rising and falling in your deep-throated laughter, your mouth wide open in mirth, your stiff Robocop shoulders shaking. In a blue Kaunda suit, your favorite. You were laughing. And I remembered your daily farewell that was never a farewell, “Will our bald heads be shinning in the sun one day?”

I don’t ever remember you walking but today I saw on Kampala-Jinja road speaking into your cell phone about to cross the road to Social Security House. You have been dead three years now but today sitting in an evening traffic jam in a taxi, I saw you. Looking up from the Tuesday New Vision newspaper I could find nothing in to read, I saw you again.

9 comments:

CountryBoyi said...

Wow!! You really saw that!!!

Goddess of Sorts said...

nothing. and i mean nothing.

nothing i'v ever read on ur blog has ever touched me this deep.

i mean nothing u'v ever written has ever made me cry and made my stomach twist and knot itself like this.

minty said...

This is so deep. Totally agree with Inktus. Who's he btw?

Jay said...

I'd like to get into your head one of these days and see what inspires you.

minty said...

All this time I've been thinking you'd give us some clue who this is. please?

Iwaya said...

@ Minty: a lot of things have been in the way of me letting you in on who he is. blogger has been acting up again at my office, logging in is like a 3hr process and all the teeth gritting that goes with that.

then i also couldn't yet bring myself to mention his name at all because he's been on my mind ever since i put this up. i realised all over how much after all these years i still miss his company. the long explanations over, his name is busingye edward. we friends from school from my S.3 right up the our first year at university. university was not quite what it could be after he passed away.

Mushroom said...

Lovin your bloG! It's so cool!!! :) Check out mine:
www.dear-savanna.blogspot.com where you can come with your problems or advice.

Goddess of Sorts said...

i dunno busingye edward, ur passage is just real relevant to anyone who's ever looked death in the face then threatened to laugh afterwards.

minty said...

Oh, ok. Here I was thinking some politician died a political death of the 'go look after ducks' variety. You seeing ghosts? (see Dear-savannah above)
'Robocop shoulders' - I see what u mean from the pic.