Sunday, April 30, 2006

in your neighborhood...


for a week every month, taking leave of all my senses, i volunteer at a small monthly magazine called The Education Times. i often ask myself why i do this. this month's latest installment reminded me just why. reproduced verbatim is a letter from one of our regular readers, a secondary school student:


I LOST RESPECT IN MEN

dear editor,

I was so astonished and shocked by a word which came out of my uncle last holiday which made me lose respect in any man on this planet.

You know am a girl who is friendly to everyone, at school am friendly to all boys and girls plus teachers as well. When I go back home, I seldom go with a friend at the end of the term especially those who stay far away from school. Sometimes we live school when it’s late and such students can’t reach home. So I go with them and stay home when next day depart.

One holiday when I was in my S.5 (Five) I went with a friend and on reaching home after like 30 minutes, my Uncle sent me to a shop very far away from home but I went though it was a bit late. When I came back, we had dinner and slept. While in the bedroom my friend told me what my uncle had told her but I doubted because my uncle seemed committed to his wife (when we reached home, his wife had gone to her parents homes.)

When I was in S3, my uncle was told false stories that I have boys I was loving yet as I told you that I have friends both boys and girls, also these were my friends. By then I wasn’t living with him so he came home and beat me seriously and I used to dislike him neither to stay with him.

When I reached in A level, it was his place to approach for any problem from school and I was being told by my sister not to pass on him when I’m from school since he used to assist me.


Now I came to believe my friend’s words in S.6 2nd term’s holiday when I went with another friend of mine. By then, my uncle’s wife had been given a transfer to another place of work and now had to separate but my uncle used to visit her.

It was Friday when we went home with Beatrice—my friend. She was a little girl in S1 (don’t ask why I admired to be with a senior one girl because beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder). After an hour, my uncle called me outside where he had sat and asked me a question am still wondering up to now.

He told me, “can’t you find mature girls to be your friends like the one you brought last time? Why have you brought such a little girl like that? Can she fit me? I told you last time to find girls for me at your school but you declined why?” At first, I thought he was drunk but it wasn’t because he is a staunch Moslem, I thought he is mad/ going crazy (he had smoked opium but it wasn’t, but I actually wondered because he is a big respectable man in an important position in a given office.

According to what my uncle did, his appearance and respect in public, I could not expect that and this made me lose respect in any man on this planet.

Parents please!! Take note of this and advise your children about such things because such men might be affected with HIV/ AIDS and pass it to their children.

(name and school concealed)
Wobulenzi Luwero.

4 comments:

Jay said...

I figure out what to say, but thats wrong.

Degstar said...

Shit be Tight.

Goddess of Sorts said...

i'm sorry i laughed, this is sadder than it is funny, and that's saying a lot, cuz it's pretty funny... thanx for the inspiration!

jkb said...

Where is Matembe's castration blade when U need it?!!