Saturday, February 11, 2006

V-D-DAY



tuititruituitr

Sniff! Sniff! Do you smell that? It’s the smell of love in the air…

Longing

The park is filled with night and fog,
The veils are drawn about the world,
The drowsy lights along the paths
Are dim and pearled.

Gold and gleaming the empty streets,
Gold and gleaming the misty lake,
The mirrored lights like sunken swords,
Glimmer and shake.

Oh, is it not enough to beHere with this beauty over me?
My throat should ache and praise, and I
Should kneel in joy beneath the sky.
Oh, beauty are you not enough?
Why am I crying after love.
With youth, a singing voice and eyes
To take earth’s wonder with surprise?
Why have I put off my pride,
Why am I unsatisfied,
I for whom the pensive nightBinds her cloudy hair with light,
I for whom all beauty burns
Like incense in a million urns?
Oh, beauty, are you not enough?
Why am I crying after love?
Sara Teasdale, Spring Night

Meeting her for the first time…

At last Dr. Jevenal asked the patient to sit up, and

with exquisite care he opened her nightdress down to
the waist; her pure high breasts with the childish
nipples shone for an instant in the darkness of the
bedroom, like a flash of gunpowder, before she hurried
to cover them with crossed arms.
GarciaMarquez, Love in the time of Cholera


Head over feet (Alanis Morisette)


I had no choice but to hear you
You stated your case time and again
I thought about itYou treat me like I’m a princess
I’m not used to liking that
You ask how my day was(chorus)
You’ve already won me over in spite of me
Don’t be alarmed if I fall head over feet
Don’t be surprised if I love you for all that you are
I couldn’t help itIt’s all your fault
Your love is think and it swallowed me whole
You’re so much braver than I gave you credit for
That’s not lip service(repeat chorus)
You are the bearer of unconditional things
You held your breath and the door for me
Thanks for your patience
You’re the best listener that I’ve ever met
You’re my best friend
Best friend with benefits
What took me so long
I’ve never felt this healthy before
I’ve never wanted something rational
I am aware now
I am aware now

Passion

Good God, what a night that was,
The bed was so soft, and how we clung,
Burning together, lying this way and that,
Our uncontrollable passionsFlowing through our mouths.
If I could only die that way,
I’d say goodbye to the business of living.
Petronius Arbiter

Sometimes love is not possible

Joey raised his head as I lowered mine and we kissed, as it were, by accident. Then for the first time in my life, I was really aware of another person’s body, of another person’s smell. We had our arms around each other. It was like holding in my hands some rare, exhausted, nearly drowned bird, which I had miraculously happened to find. To remember it so clearly, so painfully tonight tells me that I have never for an instant truly forgotten it.

Perhaps it was because he looked so innocent lying there, with such perfect trust; perhaps it was because he was so much smaller than me; my own body suddenly seemed gross and crushing and the desire which was rising in me seemed monstrous. But above all, I was suddenly afraid. It was borne in on me: But Joey is a boy.
James Baldwin,Giovanni’s Room

She’s always there

All day I have been working,
Now I am tired.
I call: “Where are you?”
But there is only the oak tree rustling in the wind.
The house is very quiet,
The sun shines on your books,
On your scissors and thimble just put down,
But you’re not there.

Suddenly I am lonely:
Where are you?
I go about searching.
Then I see you, standing under a spire of pale blue
larkspur, With a basket of roses on your arm.
You are cool,
like silver, And you smile.
I think the Canterbury bells are playing little tunes,

You tell me that the peonies need spraying,
That the columbines have overrun all bounds,
That the pyrus japonica should be cut back and
rounded. You tell me these things.
But I look at you, heart of silver,
White heart flame of polished silver,
Burning beneath the blue steeples of the larkspur,
And I long to kneel instantly at your feet,
While all about us peal the loud, sweet Te Deums of
the Canterbury bells.
Amy Lowell,Madonna of the Evening Hours

Betrayed!

Time has slowed down. I seem to be waiting hours for Gina to reply, yet I know by the time she speaks only seconds will have passed. I hear the clock ticking, the fridge-freezer whirling, the heating clanking. But these are silent compared to the sound of my blood, rushing around my veins and gathering weight in my temples.

“It is to me. Because I’m humiliated, Gina. All those times you’ve found it easy to say no to me, all those nights of sexual rejection. All those years of completely controlling our sex life and then Mr. Sensitive comes along and your knickers hit the ground faster than a dropped crystal glass. So I want to know. I want to know all the goy details. When did it begin? Where were you when you did it the first time? Did he go down on you? Did you suck his cock, Gina? Is it bigger than mine? Is he a better screw than me? Is that why you let him have you?

“You’ve changed Andy. You’re not fun anymore. You’ve lost your…charisma. The man who could hold a room spellbound two seconds after he walked into it has just disappeared.”

“Let’s get out of here. I can’t talk anymore.”

I’ve stood up and I’m making my way back to the car, leaving Gina to follow me…at least, I presume she’s following me. I’m not stopping to check.
Owen Whittaker, The House Husband.

Forgiveness

The room was dark except for the shafting light from the half opened bedroom door. Martin undressed quietly. Little and little, mysteriously, there came in him a change. His wife asleep, her peaceful respiration sounding gently in the room. Her high-heeled shoes with the carelessly dropped
stockings made to him a mute appeal. Her underclothes were flung in disorder on the choir. Martin picked up the girdle and the soft, ilk brassiere and stood for a
moment with them in his hands. For the first time that evening he looked at his wife. His eyes rested on the sweet forehead, the arch of the fine brow. As Martin watched the tranquil slumber of his wife the ghost of anger vanished. All thoughts of blame and blemish were distant from him now. Martin put out the bathroom light and raised the window. Careful not to awaken Emily he slid into the bed. By moonlight he watched his wife for the last time. His hand sought the adjacent flesh and sorrow paralleled desire in the immense complexity of love.
Carson McCullers, A Domestic Dilemma

The end of all things

The sunlight on the garden
Hardens and grows cold,
We cannot cage the minute
Within its nets of gold,
When all is told
We cannot beg for pardon.
Our freedom as freelances
Advances towards its end
The earth compels, upon it
Sonnets and birds descend;
And soon, my friend,
We shall have no time for dances.
The sky was good for flying
Defying the church bells
And every evil iron
Siren and what it tells:
The earth compels,
We are dying, Egypt, dying
And not expecting pardon,
Hardened in heart anew,
But glad to have sat under thunder and rain with you
And grateful too For sunlight on the garden


Louis MacNiece, The Sunlight on the Garden


(PS: You guys better read up on Winesburg, Ohio bySherwood Anderson because his birthday is coming upand you know I’m not going to let it slip by. Preparefor the bombardment!)


6 comments:

The 0ne said...

That's quite a long post you've got there....

The 0ne said...

and I wrote the book on long posts,I would know.

Goddess of Sorts said...

"love, love as the crow flies"

-as the crow flies, by some african woman (its in the AWS) and probly one of the most beauticuly romantic romance novels i've ever read!

Undo said...

The (real) end of all things; Part 2

Climbing up the walls

"I am the key to the lock in your house
That keeps your toys in the basement
And if you get too far inside
You'll only see my reflection

It's always best when the light is off
I am the pick in the ice
Do not cry out or hit the alarm
You know we're friends till we die

And either way you turn
I'll be there
Open up your skull
I'll be there
Climbing up the walls

It's always best when the light is off
It's always better on the outside
Fifteen blows to the back of your head
Fifteen blows to your mind

So lock the kids up safe tonight
Put the eyes in the cupboard
I've got the smell of a local man
Who's got the loneliest feeling"

Climbing up the walls-Radiohead

MacLord said...

Greetings from Portugal.
Great Blog. Fine Texts and Photos. Continue this great work.

baz said...

Dude, Macniece? Well, well, well.